1 brown onion, diced
2 gloves of garlic, crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp saffron
1 tbsp Italian herbs
100 grams of shredded parmesan
800 ml of vegetable stock
25 grams of unsalted butter
1 cup of aborio rice
180 grams of plain flour
200 grams of breadcrumbs
vegetable oil for frying
Cherry bocconcini balls
Arrabiatta sauce – use for a dipping sauce
1. In a large pot, add the vegetable stock and turn on high heat. Once it starts to boil reduce to low and keep warm.
2. In a fry pan on medium heat add the butter, oil and onion. Fry until it becomes transparent. Than add the spices and stir. Now add the uncooked aborio rice, stir.
3. Now for the next 30 mins, slowly pour one ladle of stock into the rice mixture and stir. If it appears to be bubbling, turn the heat down. Once you have achieved a soft rice mixture scoop contents into a bowl and add the parmesan cheese and stir through.
4. Set aside and let it cool down, than refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
5. After an hour, take them out of the fridge, wet your hands and form them into around 8 medium balls. You must wet your hands so they don’t stick to you. Now with your thumb, make a small hole in the centre of each ball and add one ball of boccocini in the centre than cover back over, repeat with the remaining balls.
5. Using 3 separate bowls, one bowl add flour, than the second bowl add 2 eggs and stir with a fork than the third bowl add the bread crumbs. Now one by one coat a ball with flour than the egg mixture than finally the breadcrumbs.
6. Now in a saucepan add some vegetable oil around 5 cm in depth and turn on high. Once it appears hot, add two balls at a time turning them over until golden brown. Once they are ready set aside and serve with arrabiata sauce.